According to the terms of the lease, a tenant is committed to take good care of the apartment and its common areas throughout the period of residence. The terms of the lease can be read here. In a shared apartment all tenants are together responsible for tidiness of the common areas. Tenants are charged for the cleaning costs if for example during LOAS maintenance visit the apartment is found out to be untidy or the final cleaning has not been done when the resident moves out. The basic cleanliness of the apartment should be maintained throughout the period of residence. You can see the checklist for moving out here. This makes the final cleaning quicker and easier. Here are scheduling tips on how to maintain the general level of cleanliness.
- Vacuum the floors and if necessary, wipe the floors with a damp mop. Also vacuum the bathroom and toilet
- Clean the toilet bowl (also all the surfaces of the bowl). Wipe all the surfaces: faucet, sink, walls, floors etc.
- Wipe the dust from all over the apartment, use a damp cleaning cloth if necessary
- Clean the kitchen surfaces: cupboard doors and handles, work tops and home appliances
- Clean the stove every time after cooking. Clean also the control panel knobs
Once in a month
- More efficient cleaning of the bathroom: walls, floor, shower, faucet, sink, shower curtain
- Wash the trash bins in the kitchen. Lift the bins out of the trolley and wipe the surfaces inside the cupboards. Wipe the trolley
- Clean the door handles and doors. Wipe the walls if there are stubborn stains
Every two or three months
- Clean the fridge and throw any old food away. Remember to clean the drain hole and wipe the door seals and the door
- Clean the metal cooker hood filter in the dishwasher or with a dish brush
- Clean the floor drain in the bathroom
- Clean the oven, oven sheets and oven rack. Remember to vacuum from back of the oven and clean the dirt stains from the walls and cupboards
A few times in a year
- Wash the windows. Clean the windows also from the outside (only in summertime) and the space between the windows
- Clean the inside of cabinets, drawers, shelves etc.
- Defrost the freezer, clean the boxes and clean the inside of the freezer. Remember to wipe the door seals and the freezer door. See the instructions here
- Clean the ventilation valve with a vacuum and damp cleaning cloth
- Clean the balcony. The balcony is not intended for storing waste or unnecessary goods
Checklist for moving out