The processing of applications can take a few days after which you can check your queue situation on the intranet. If you have something to add to your application, please familiarise with the following queue placement criteria and primarily contact by email.
New applications are constantly submitted to the system and placements change on a daily basis. During busy periods, we are unable to provide further details on the progress of the queue over the phone. All apartment queues progress at different speeds, because apartments becoming vacant is entirely dependent on when the residents provide notice. All queuers do not accept the apartments they are offered, and offers cannot be made to some people who are higher on the queue. For these reasons, it is extremely difficult for us to estimate the time of an apartment offer.
During busy periods, we are unable to answer phone queries.
During the busy autumn period, getting an apartment offer for a studio without special reasons is very unlikely. If it important for you to be offered an apartment immediately after by the start of your studies, apply for shared apartments too – you can apply for a studio later on.
Existing residents (exchange applicants) are given priority in the selection of residents. In practice, only exchange applicants or new applicants with significantly justified reasons, which must be described together with proof in the attachments of the apartment application, will be offered a studio. University and higher education students who are starting their studies in the autumn are given priority when shared apartments are distributed. This is included in the housing guarantee principles provided together with the City of Lappeenranta.
Getting an apartment is subject to the apartment offer being accepted by the provided deadline. If the offer is refused, the apartment is offered to the next applicant in the queue.
The system automatically calculates placement points for the applicants according to the following factors:
- first-year student (shared apartments)
- Distance to home municipality (shared apartments)
- accommodation in shared apartment at LOAS according to duration of consecutive and continuing accommodation period (studios)
- children (studios and family apartments)
- couples (family apartments)
- application receipt date (in situations in which the applicants have the same number of points, the application that was received first is given priority)
The applications are ordered primarily on the basis of points and secondarily on the basis of the submission dates, so the queue order constantly changes.
Other reasons for needing an apartment are considered on a case-by-case basis. LOAS’ application processor can add consideration points for the application for particularly significant reasons for needing an apartment, such as:
- applicants terminated from properties that are undergoing renovation
- returning exchange students and those returning from military service
- agreement terminated by landlord for no tenant-related reason
- medical certificate about health status